Historically, the Harvardwood 101 career exploration program brought two dozen current undergraduates to Los Angeles during the January term and provided a series of career-related activities in order to demystify Hollywood and educate them about careers in the entertainment industry. The program began in 2003 and is cosponsored by Harvard University's Office of Career Services.
Due to COVID, we pivoted to a Digital Offering in 2021 and 2022 and will be offering a primarily online program in 2023, which consists of:
Boot Camp Week - January 2nd-6th, 2023
An intensive, informational week led on Zoom, featuring industry speakers, with interactive sessions, student Q&As, and panelist-led sessions
Participating companies in the past 2 years included Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify, BMG Music Group, Activision, United Masters, Upland Workshop, CAA, Anonymous Content, Westbrook Inc., and more
- 40-55 students hosted per year
- Covering Writing, Producing, Agent/Manager Path, Sports, Music, & More
- 6 hours of completely optional acting training
- Various networking sessions
J-Termships - between Jan. 3rd-20th, 2023
1-3 weeks in January in which students hold informal positions at entertainment companies or with individual industry professionals
- Duration may be extended beyond the term of the program upon mutual agreement between J-termship host and student
- Students are unpaid, but receive official certificates from OCS
- Work and communications may take place virtually and/or in-person
- Activities might include talent scouting, script reading, organization, or other tasks
- J-termship opportunities are limited, and preference will be given to upperclassmen as well as those who have not previously done a J-termship
- Students who are offered and opt for an in-person J-termship experience will need to do so at their own expense, there will be no University resources available to support travel, accommodations, or other living expenses during the program. There may be a limited number of homestay opportunities available through Harvardwood, typically guest rooms in the homes of alumni
- Additional Harvardwood events will be available to J-termship participants during their experience
The Harvardwood 101 Boot Camp program will run from Monday, Jan. 2 to Friday, Jan. 6, 2023.
- The OPTIONAL J-termship program will run from approximately Jan. 3-20th, 2023.
If your company has offices in Los Angeles and you're interested in:
- Having Harvardwood 101 students visit your office
- Hosting a company informational
- Interviewing current Harvard students for summer internship opportunities
... review more complete information about your company's opportunities and then COMPLETE THIS FORM. A Harvardwood 101 program director will get in touch with you promptly to coordinate the details of the students' visit, interviews, and/or company informational.
Dozens of companies and productions have participated in previous Harvardwood 101 programs, including:
Alegra Entertainment, Arena Films 3D, Attention Span Media, Bluegate, LLC, "California Solo," Cause & Affect, Collective Conscience, Commonwealth Talent Group, Das Films, Don Buchwald & Assoc./Fortitude, Echo Lake Entertainment, Emerson LA, Ethan Gold Records, Freud Communications, Great Road Capital, Inc., Gurney Productions, Heyday Films, the set of How to Get Away with Murder, Indian Paintbrush Productions, Inside Out Community Arts, Interscope Records, Jackson-Medavoy Entertainment, KSR & Assoc., London Ink Productions, Los Angeles Film School, Lukewarm Alibi, Inc., Martin Chase Productions, Millennium Films, NBC-Universal, Night & Day Pictures, Overbrook Entertainment, Partos Company, PhD Productions, Realio Trulio Media, Red Wagon Entertainment, Reveille and Shine International, Right of Way Films, River Road Entertainment, Staples Center Foundation, Storm Lion, Team Downey, Temple Hill Entertainment, The Jim Henson Company, Tiara Blu Films, Tricon Films, Unique Features, Universal Cable Productions, USC Film School, UCLA Film School, United Talent Agency, Vuguru, Whitewater Films, YRF Entertainment, 2929 Productions, Artfire Films, Attention Span Media, Bedford Falls Company, Brancato Productions, Circle of Confusion, Deep Focus, Fanscape, The Film Department, The Firm, Gersh Agency, Groundswell Productions, HBO, Imaginarium Entertainment Group, Innovative Artists, Participant Productions, Peirce Pictures, Polsky Films, Roserock Films, Samuels Media, Sidney Kimmel Entertainment, Temple Hill Productions, Village Roadshow Pictures Entertainment, The Mark Gordon Company, Sony Pictures Entertainment-Creative Advertising, Walt Disney Studios, Whitewater Films, Seed Productions, The Schiff Company, Screen Gems/Tristar, & YouTube Space LA.