The Comedy Intensive is a two-day course that explores the hidden tools and principles of comedy: what it is, how it works, why it works, what’s happening when it’s not working and what you can do to fix it, and offers proven and practical methods and techniques. On Day 1, we explore the Hidden Tools–useable, practical tools that you can apply immediately to your work. Day 2 focuses on character, structure, comic premise and specific ways of applying the tools to text.
The workshop covers includes interactive exercises, solo and group writing activities, as well as a liberal use of clips from current and classic comedies to illustrate our points and principles.
Steve Kaplan has been the entertainment industry’s leading expert on comedy for more than 15 years. He has taught his Comedy Intensive Workshop to thousands of students around the world.
His credits include:
- Co-founder and Artistic Director of Manhattan Punch Line Theatre
- Creator of the HBO Workspace
- Creator of the HBO New Writers Program
- Consultant and script doctor to Dreamworks, Disney, HBO, Paramount, Touchstone and others.
- Highly sought-after instructor at UCLA, NYU, Yale, and other top universities.
- Director in regional theaters and Off-Broadway
Steve has worked with hundreds of writers, producers and performers to hone their comedic talents. And, he’s influenced thousands more with his book, The Hidden Tools of Comedy.
Estimated Value: $400
Starting Bid: $180
Bid Increments: $10