The Chicago International Film Festival is now open for entries. The 53rd CIFF will be held October 12-26, 2017.
Films are programmed for public screening in a diverse selection of competitive and non-competitive categories. Each film is presented in one or more of the following sections and is placed at the discretion of the Programming Committee.
A) Eligibility Requirements
- Films completed on or after September 1, 2016 are eligible.
- Films previously submitted to the Chicago International Film Festival are NOT eligible.
- US premieres are given priority, but films must be at least a Chicago premiere. Films that (a) have screened publicly in the Chicago area, (b) have had a theatrical run in the US prior to the Festival dates, (c) have aired on US television prior to the Festival dates, or (d) are available for purchase in North America are NOT eligible.
- Feature-length films (narrative or documentary) that are available for public online viewing in their entirety are NOT eligible. Short films (under 40 min) may be available online.
- Films shown at private screenings not open to the public (for crew, investors, etc.) are eligible.
- All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English. Dialogue lists are not accepted.
- Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
B) Submission Guidelines
- Feature-length films must be submitted via online screener hosted by Vimeo, on DVD or on Blu-ray disc.
- Only complete entries (including fee payment and screener) will be considered.
- Entrants are permitted to submit works-in-progress (i.e., without final color correction or sound mixing), but please note that the programming committee will only consider the version submitted. Subsequent cuts or replacement copies will only be accepted at the request of the programming committee.
- To qualify for student entry fee rates, entrant must include proof of student status at the time of production (e.g., copy of student ID, transcript, etc.)
- The following exhibition formats are eligible for Festival screening: 35mm, DCP, and HDCAM.
Early deadline entries must be postmarked by April 7, 2017.
Regular deadline entries must be postmarked by June 16, 2017.
Late deadline entries must be postmarked by July 7, 2017.
The cost of shipping an entry to the Festival must be paid by the entrant. Collect or COD shipments will not be accepted. All international entries must be sent “free domicile” to the Festival office with all transportation charges, duties, and taxes prepaid by the shipper. For films selected to screen at the 53rd Chicago International Film Festival, the Festival will only cover one-way shipping costs for the public screening hard drive or DCP.
E) Judging & Selection
Films are selected for Festival presentation by the Chicago International Film Festival programming committee. If a film is selected, the Festival office will contact the entrant by phone or email.
All entrants will be notified on or before September 9, 2017.
Films selected for the International Feature, Documentary, New Directors, and Out-Look Competitions are judged during the Festival. All other competitive film categories, including the Chicago Award and Short Film Competition, are judged before the Festival.
F) Entry Fees
Each entry must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. Entry fees are not refundable. Fees cover registration, notification, full consideration by the programming department, and notification of the results. These fees may be paid by check or money order, made payable to Cinema/Chicago, or by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or American Express).