The Social Impact of Art, Media, and Entertainment
Saturday, October 29, 2011
8:30 AM - 2:00 PM**
Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel
The Arab Spring. Climate change. The economic crisis. As the world around us evolves, it naturally influences the stories we tell, both fact and fiction—and in turn, as artists, comedians, filmmakers and journalists reflect on the issues of the day, their work has the potential to shape society and alter the course of history. Come join our discussion about the iterative impact that art, media and entertainment have on the way we see the world, lead our lives, make choices, and interact with one another on both a personal and global scale.
Featuring a live performance by the Harvard Yardbirds, Harvard's acclaimed alumni a cappella group!
8:30 - 9am | Registration
9 - 9:30am | Welcome and Opening Remarks
9:30 - 11am | PANEL 1 - Just the Facts, Ma'am: The Power of Documentary Storytelling
11 - 11:15am | Break
11:15 - 12:45pm | PANEL 2 - The 21st Century Artist: Invisible Legislator, or Merely Invisible?
12:45pm | Lunch
1pm | Performance by the Harvard Yardbirds!
PANEL 1 - JUST THE FACTS, MA'AM: The Power of Documentary Storytelling
Howard Cohen '81, President, Roadside Attractions (THE COVE, SUPER SIZE ME)
- Alfred Guzzetti, Filmmaker, Harvard University Professor of Visual Arts
- Diane Nabatoff '78, MBA '82, Film Producer (NARC, TAKE THE LEAD)
- Bennett Singer '86, Award-winning Filmmaker & Producer (BROTHER OUTSIDER: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF BAYARD RUSTIN, EYES ON THE PRIZE II)
- Dan Sturman '89, Award-winning documentarian (NANKING, TWIN TOWERS)
- Baratunde Thurston '99, Director of Digital for THE ONION, Founder of "Jack and Jill Politics" blog
PANEL 2 - THE 21ST CENTURY ARTIST: Invisible Legislator, or Merely Invisible?
- Amy Aquino '79, Actress, Secretary-Treasurer of the Screen Actors Guild
- Paris Barclay '79, Writer/Director/Producer (GLEE, SONS OF ANARCHY, IN TREATMENT)
- Jeffrey Deitch HBS '78, Director of the Museum of Contemporary Art
- Josh Goldstine '90, President of Marketing, Universal Pictures
- Robert Kraft '76, President, Fox Music
- Jeff Melvoin '75, Executive Producer, ARMY WIVES