Harvardwood published April 2017 | Monica Beletsky AB '99 in Alumni Profiles 2017-04-01 03:49:00 -0700
Monica Beletsky AB '99 (Writer & Producer, Fargo, Parenthood)
By Sara Lynne Wright
Growing up with an African American dad and a Jewish mom in a diverse neighborhood of Philadelphia, Monica Beletsky AB ‘99 cultivated the empathy she now uses as a TV writer to step into different characters’ points of view. “People who are different from me aren’t just an abstract idea. I was lucky to grow up in a unique neighborhood of ethnic, religious and economic diversity.”
This multiplicity of viewpoints is reflected in the wide range of shows on which she’s been a writer-producer, including Parenthood, Friday Night Lights, The Leftovers, and Fargo.
“The decade before my parents moved to Philadelphia, Black people and Jewish people were being prohibited from getting mortgages. But there were these special twin sister realtors in my neighborhood, West Mount Airy, who found a way to get mortgages for would-be homeowners who were discriminated against.” So by the time Monica was born, her parents’ neighborhood consisted of African-Americans, Jews, Protestants, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, interracial and (later) gay families who were all homeowners or renters in the same neighborhood.Read more
Harvardwood published Exclusive Q&A with LAUREN GREENFIELD AB '87 in The #HWIRE 2017-03-31 18:29:37 -0700
By Terence O'Toole Murnin
On the eve of publishing Generation Wealth, the highly anticipated book and accompanying mid-career retrospective exhibition from acclaimed photographer and documentary filmmaker Lauren Greenfield AB '87, Harvardwood zooms in close for the inside scoop.
Q. What can you tell us about Generation Wealth?
A. The book will be released on May 15, and its creation has really dominated the last eight years of my life. It’s certainly a document of our consumerism, and how we exported these values, especially after the financial crash of 2008. I traveled the world—from California, to Iceland and Dubai—and on to China where in a post-communist era, I witnessed a mad dash for wealth and luxury.
This clash of values where everyone now desires to be a part of the aristocracy also led to gender and body issues. Girls are commodified and the “Princess Myth” has led to an acceptance of prostitution as a way to obtain money and success. Brooke Taylor and the acceptance of high-end brothels as potential career tracks are signs of a cultural shift where fame is now a value.Read more
Harvardwood published Heading to Tribeca 2017? Share your film with Harvardwood! in News 2017-03-05 13:24:28 -0800
If you're involved in a film that will be screened at Tribeca this year, let us know so we can share screening info with the Harvardwood community! We're here to support our members and their endeavors in the arts, media, and entertainment—whether it's by serving as a fiscal NPO sponsor in the early stages of a project or by promoting your concerts, exhibits, or screenings via the Harvardwood Heads To... calendar.
Harvardwood published November 2016 | Tracey Bing MBA '01 in Alumni Profiles 2016-10-31 16:55:47 -0700
By D. Dona Le
“You have to back your instincts in the face of opposition, especially as a producer,” says Tracey Bing MBA '01. “You might be wrong sometimes, and that’s okay. But without conviction, it’s really hard to do this job.”
Bing’s conviction in her judgment and choices as a producer and executive has certainly paid off. Her credits include March of the Penguins, which won the 2006 Oscar for Best Documentary, and most recently, Southside with You, a feature film about Barack and Michelle Obama’s first date. After premiering at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, Southside with You was released late this summer in the United States and garnered rave reviews from critics nationwide.
Asked to define what exactly it means to be a producer, Bing first laughs before launching into a clear and comprehensive job description.
“To me, producing is finding the story, working with the writer to develop that story, attaching the talent, and then finding the financing to make that movie.” She continues, “Then, overseeing that whole process from pre- to production to post-production until you deliver it to a distributor. Sometimes you get involved later on in things, but I like to be involved from the ground up.”Read more
Harvardwood published Exclusive Q&A with ANDY BOROWITZ AB '80 in The #HWIRE 2016-10-31 16:54:20 -0700
By Nicole Torres AB '11
New York Times best-selling author and comedian Andy Borowitz AB '80 has written for The New Yorker since 1998. He is the creator of satirical news column The Borowitz Report, for which he won the inaugural National Press Club award for humor. His books include The 50 Funniest American Writers and a memoir, An Unexpected Twist.
Q. It’s hard to believe it’s been 10 years since we last profiled you for Harvardwood! Throughout your career you have worked in an impressive number of mediums spanning television, journalism, political satire, social media, stand up comedy, teacher, musician, radio host, and author. How have you managed to transition between and work in so many different arenas?
A. It's all been one long happy accident. Opportunities to do different things, like radio or standup, have presented themselves and I've said yes to them. It's the classic improv lesson of saying "yes, and..." to every proposition. Not everything you try will work out, but it's always interesting to try.
Q. Of all the different mediums and work you’ve done over the years, do you have a favorite?
A. Not really. They've all been fun at the time. I'm really enjoying the mix I have now—writing for The New Yorker, some live shows, some radio—but that mix will no doubt change in the years ahead.Read more
Harvardwood published VIP Lunch with Melinda Hsu Taylor in Summer 2016 VIP Lunch Auction 2016-07-22 01:59:31 -0700
Melinda Hsu Taylor is an Executive Producer on The Vampire Diaries and a proud genre geek.
Previous credits include Lost, Falling Skies, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Medium, and drama pilots for NBC and Lifetime. She is an alum of the Warner Bros. TV Drama Writers' Workshop as well as the WGA Showrunner Training Program, and serves on the Advisory Board for the Sarah Jones Film Foundation, which fosters on-set safety through awareness and accountability.
Harvardwood published VIP Lunch with Samuel Baum in Summer 2016 VIP Lunch Auction 2016-07-22 01:51:37 -0700
Samuel Baum is the co-writer of the upcoming HBO Original Film The Wizard of Lies, starring Robert De Niro. Mr. Baum is currently creating and executive producing television projects for HBO under his development deal with the network.
Previously, Mr. Baum created the Fox television drama Lie to Me. Executive produced by Baum and Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer and David Nevins, the award-winning series ran for three seasons.
Mr. Baum also co-created the ABC series The Evidence, which he executive produced along with John Wells Productions.
Additionally, he has written and executive produced television pilots for Amazon, CBS, and the former WB.
As a playwright, Mr. Baum has worked with the Old Globe Theatre, the Williamstown Theatre Festival, and Rattlestick Playwrights Theater.
Mr. Baum is originally from New York City and is a graduate of Harvard College.Read more
Harvardwood published Welcome to the VIP Lunch Silent Auction in Summer 2016 VIP Lunch Auction 2016-07-22 01:31:29 -0700
Bidding ends 11:00am PT on Monday, August 8, 2016.*
*Harvardwood members get ONE extra hour of bidding! If you're a dues-current Harvardwood member, you can continue to place bids until 12:00pm PT on August 8th.
Please review the auction rules and guidelines below before placing any bids.
By bidding in Harvardwood’s silent auctions, each bidder agrees to these auction rules.
- All sales are final. There will be no exchanges or refunds. All items are “as is.” Harvardwood has attempted to describe and catalog items correctly, but neither warrants nor represents and in no event shall be responsible for the correctness of descriptions, genuineness, authorship, provenance or condition of the items. No statement made in this catalog, or made orally at the auction or elsewhere, shall be deemed such a warranty, representation, or assumption of liability.
- Payment for VIP lunch(es) purchased must be made in full within 48 hours of notification that the bidder has won the item. Harvardwood accepts payment by credit card online.
- Following payment(s), you will be put in touch with the VIP's office to schedule the lunch.
- Any VIP Lunch left unclaimed, without prior arrangements, will be sold and proceeds will go to Harvardwood.
- Harvardwood reserves the right to add or withdraw items, without notice, to or from the auction.
- Each person bidding assumes all risks and hazards related to the auction and items obtained at the auction. Each bidder agrees to hold harmless from any liability arising indirectly from Harvardwood, their elected and appointed officials, members and employees, the auctioneer(s), the auction company and its agents and employees, the event organizers, sponsors, and/or volunteers connected with the auction.
- The lunch attendee must be a Harvard student, alum, staff, or faculty member, but is not required to be a Harvardwood member.
- A non-Harvard-affiliated individual may place a bid as long as s/he is doing so on behalf of a Harvard-affiliated lunch attendee (see #7 above).
- Once the lunch attendee is identified, the lunch is strictly non-transferable.
- The lunch is a one-on-one meeting. Winning bidders may not bring additional guests to the VIP lunch.
- The bidding period will end at 11:00am PT on August 8, 2016 for non-members, but Harvardwood members can continue to bid until 12:00pm PT on August 8, 2016. The auction will close at 12:00pm on August 8, 2016.
Company: Entertainment Weekly
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Type of Position: Full-Time
Minimum Education Level:
Minimum Years of Experience: 4-5 years
Job Description: The digital staff editor for Entertainment Weekly will provide daily editorial support across our television, movies, music, and books verticals. A jack-of-all-trades, able to write and report, as well as assign and edit, the digital staff editor will work closely with the West Coast deputy news director on daily content production. The ideal candidate will have expert news judgment and a nose for what clicks online (before it's clicking online for everyone else).
Time Inc. is one of the largest branded media companies in the world. The company reaches more than 130 million people globally each month across multiple platforms, with influential brands like Time, People, Sports Illustrated, Entertainment Weekly, InStyle, Real Simple, Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine and Wallpaper. Time Inc. is home to celebrated events and franchises including the Fortune 500, Time 100, People's Most Beautiful, Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year, Essence Festival in New Orleans and the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen.Read more
Alan Yang '02 (Writer & Executive Producer, Master of None, Parks & Recreation)
by Sara Lynne Wright
Master of None, the upcoming Netflix series co-created by Alan Yang and Aziz Ansari, is the most autobiographical show Alan’s ever worked on. “I always wanted to do stories that were universal. So I didn’t want to write a show people could categorize as an Asian show. But I think the lesson you learn over and over again – and I’m not claiming to know anything about writing - is that the universality you’re looking for is in the specificity of your experience.”
Alan’s refusal to claim he knows anything about writing reads like a joke, but he’s serious. He’s that humble. This humility, along with his evident and uncommon talent, must have helped him work his way up from staff writer to co-executive producer on Parks and Recreation over the seven seasons of the show. Before that he wrote for South Park and Last Call With Carson Daly.Read more
Harvardwood published Donate a product/service to our 2015 Holiday Silent Auction! in News 2015-10-30 14:22:53 -0700
Become a champion of the Harvard arts, media & entertainment community by donating an item from your business or service in support of Harvardwood's education events, professional programs, and service initiatives. All donations are 100% tax-deductible and auction proceeds will go to the Harvardwood Fund.
All Harvardwood donors are crucial to aiding Harvardwood in equipping a community of bright and talented artists and art enthusiasts to ultimately serve the world with their talents and resources. Harvardwood donors will receive special recognition on our website, as well as recognition at selected events and programs throughout the year. They will also receive invitations to periodic exclusive VIP Harvardwood events.
In addition to getting exposure via our online silent auction, promoted to our 6,000+ members worldwide, this is a great way to promote your product/service to Harvard alums AND Stanford alums, since all auction items will be featured at our jointly hosted holiday party in Los Angeles on December 7th!
We are currently seeking tax-deductible items valued at $100 or above to be donated for the auction, such as:Read more
The Treasury Wine Estates Friends and Family Case Sale starts this Tuesday with up to 70% off wine cases!! Wines range from "everyday" wines to high end wines that aficionados will love, like Stags' Leap, St. Clement Oroppas and Beringer Private Reserve.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE THIS! Be sure to type "Alexis Walsh" in the Referral box at the top of the checkout page.
How to shop:
- Go to: www.treasurywineevent.com
- Register as a new user or login if you're a wine sale vet
- Go shopping!
- Type "Alexis Walsh" in Referral Box before check out
- If you have any difficulties, contact Customer Service at 800-395-0052.
A few reminders:
- Great wines up to 70% off
- My network (i.e. people using my name in the referral box) can start shopping TUES OCT 20... but everyone else has to wait until the next day. Get in on Tuesday morning, the best deals sell out right away!
- More mixed cases this time, and a bunch of magnums!
- Great wines for corporate gifts, holiday parties, Thanksgiving, etc.
- Shipping included! (and now MA people can order too!)
Some of my favorites and recommendations are below:
For Collectors/ Wine Cellars/ Gifts!
- Chateau St. Jean North Coast Chard - $7/bottle
- Campanile Pinot Grigio - $6.50/bottle
- Gabbiano Reserva Chianti - $10/bottle
- Matua Sauvignon Blanc - $7/bottle
- Chateau St. Jean Sonoma County Cab - $13.50/bottle
- Beringer Private Reserve Cab - The ultimate Cab, amazing wine - $82.50/bottle (usually $165)
- Penfolds Bin 389 Cab/Shiraz - "Baby Grange" - $42/bottle
- St. Clement Oroppas - not usually in the sale and 58% off! $25/bottle!
- Etude Napa Cab - wow, 60% off! Go with 2012 vintage - $34/bottle (usually $85)
- Penfolds Bin 9 Cab - Aussie style, entry bin, $12/bottle
- Chateau St. Jean Alexander Valley Cab - really great Cab, $17.50/bottle
- Beringer Knights Valley Cab - a classic at only $17/bottle
- Etude Napa Valley Cab - $34/bottle
- Stags' Leap Cab - Can't beat Stags'! $30/bottle
- Beringer Napa Valley Chard - What a deal for a NAPA Chard thats gorgeous! $10/bottle
- Beringer Luminus Chard - A beautiful wine with some classic Napa Chard flavors, but more acidity and crispness. I love this one. $19/bottle
- Beringer Private Reserve Chard - The ultimate, and Wine of the Year winner. A way to impress. $23/bottle
- Chateau St. Jean Robert Young Chard - Always award winning and delicious. $12.50/bottle
- Chateau St. Jean Sonoma Coast Chard - one of my personal favorities. $12/bottle
- Etude Carneros Chard - lighter, crisper in style than Napa chards. Love this one too. $16/bottle
- Stags' Leap Chard - another personal favorite. Very French in style. $15/bottle
Others Varietals/Blends/Mixed Cases
- Chateau St. Jean Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - one of my favorite Pinots! Great region for it. $14/bottle
- Etude Carneros Pinot Noir - $22.50/bottle
- Etude Fiddlestix Santa Rita Hills Pinot - Can't go wrong with any Etude Pinot! $25/bottle
- Etude North Canyon Santa Maria Pinot - $20/bottle
- Beringer Quantum Red - A delicious wine, crowd pleaser. $32.50/bottle
- Beringer Luxury - get 6 Luminus Chard and 6 Quantum! $309/case
- Etude Pinot Noir ROSE - If you like Rose, you'll LOVE this! Not usually in the sale! $14/bottle
- Etude Pinot Gris - my favorite white we make. $14/bottle
- Gabbiano Bellezza Chianti - Gorgeous wine, amazing deal. $20/bottle
- Penfolds Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre Bin 138 - fun, different, interesting, yummy! $20/bottle
- Penfolds Best of Bins case - 3 bottles of Bin 707 (not much of this wine around!), Bin 8, Bin 9 and Bin 28! Great way to get some of each.
Harvardwood published October 2015 | Kermit Roosevelt '93 in Alumni Profiles 2015-09-30 22:39:22 -0700
Kermit Roosevelt AB '93
(Professor & Author, In the Shadow of the Law, Allegiance)
by Terence O'Toole Murnin
Kermit Roosevelt’s Real-Life Tales of a Government Bent on Repeating History Inform the Historical Fiction of Allegiance, His Latest Novel, while also Sharpening His Vision as a Professor of Law
Kermit Roosevelt has the kind of brilliant, beautiful mind that makes attorneys look cooler than Matthew McConaughey in THE LINCOLN LAWYER. Shifting seamlessly from his role as Professor of Law at the University of Pennsylvania Law School where he has prolifically published on matters focusing on constitutional law and conflict of laws, in 2005, he also published his first novel, In The Shadow Of The Law (Farrar, Straus and Giroux). Paramount quickly snapped up the rights to the entrancing book set in a powerhouse Washington, D. C., law firm, and Carol Mendelsohn of CSI fame served as Executive Producer of a TV Pilot that featured Joshua Jackson, Frank Langella, Kevin Pollak and Alan Tudyk.Read more
Harvardwood published Take our membership survey for 1 month FREE MEMBERSHIP! in News 2015-09-15 12:15:28 -0700
Harvardwood is planning some new initiatives for 2016, and we appreciate your thoughtful feedback and suggestions.
This survey is intended for Harvardwood (past and current) members, Friends of Harvardwood, and subscribers. If you have a few minutes, we would love to hear from you!
ALL RESPONSES WILL BE KEPT STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL. Past or current members who wish to earn one (1) month of free Harvardwood membership can opt to enter their identifying information at the beginning of the survey. This offer does not apply to new members.
Please complete the survey by October 15, 2015.
Thank you for helping us continue to make Harvardwood a vibrant and enriching arts, media, and entertainment community!
Harvardwood published September 2015 | Eric d'Arbeloff MBA '93 & Howard Cohen AB '81 in Alumni Profiles 2015-09-01 14:38:51 -0700
Eric d’Arbeloff MBA ‘93 and Howard Cohen AB ‘81
(Co-Founders, Roadside Attractions)
by Cristina Slattery
Eric d’Arbeloff MBA ‘93 and Howard Cohen AB ‘81 are the founders of Roadside Attractions, a specialty film distributor based in L.A.
They are also a married couple and parents of a ten-year-old son. The films they acquire and distribute are designed to appeal to an intellectually curious audience and films have included everything from a documentary about Anna Wintour and VOGUE magazine to a story about Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys.
STONEWALL, a film about the famous Stonewall riots that initiated the gay rights movement in Greenwich Village in New York City in June of 1969, will be released on September 25th.Read more
Harvardwood published Member Discount to World Premiere of WAITRESS at the A.R.T. in News 2015-08-10 17:43:06 -0700
This fall, attend the world premiere of Waitress at the A.R.T.! Harvardwood members can receive a special discount off certain shows in September; the code is good for discounted, fee-free tickets.
Book by Jessie Nelson
Music and Lyrics by Sara Bareilles
Based upon the motion picture written by Adrienne Shelly
Choreographed by Chase Brock
Directed by Diane Paulus
Jenna, played by Tony Award winner Jessie Mueller (Beautiful), a waitress and expert pie maker, is stuck in a small town and a loveless marriage. When a baking contest in a nearby county offers her a chance at escape, Jenna must choose between her commitments and her dreams. Her customers, co-workers, and the town’s handsome new doctor all offer her conflicting recipes for happiness—but Jenna ultimately has to decide for herself. This poignant and uplifting new musical celebrates friendship, motherhood, and the courage it takes to pluck a long abandoned dream off the shelf. Featuring music and lyrics by Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles (“Brave,” “Love Song”) and directed by Diane Paulus (Pippin, Finding Neverland).Read more
Sony Pictures Television and Tenth Planet Productions are currently searching for the best and funniest sketch comedy groups to participate in an 8 episode prime-time series for a major broadcast network. The first episode (PILOT) as currently scheduled shoots during the second half of October. The remaining 7 episodes are tentatively scheduled to shoot in late spring of 2016.
During each show, groups will be featured doing short comedy sketches that could range from any of these touchstones of sketch comedy:
Fake Movie or TV Trailer
All groups should have experience performing on-stage in front of a live audience and shooting comedic short films. There will be celebrity comedy experts on-hand to critique each performance, and the live studio audience will play a big part in how performances get scored. The groups with the highest scores will have a chance to win a cash prize every week.
The Biggest Laugh is not a typical elimination competition. We want to give every group the best possible chance to succeed, so groups will be given several opportunities to show off their comedic skills before the first group gets eliminated. At the end of the series, one group will win the biggest prize of all and be declared the Biggest Laugh Champion.
More info here: http://www.thebiggestlaugh.com/.