Launched in 2005, the Harvardwood Features Program currently offers writing groups in Los Angeles and Boston. HWP groups meet regularly to discuss and critique original material and to hear from experienced guest speakers in different fields. These speaker events are only open to participating writers. View a partial list of previous HWP speakers.
NEW: The HWP-Features program in NYC will run in Spring/Summer 2017, with the end goal of having each participant submit his/her script to the Harvardwood Writers Competition by the July 31st deadline. Apply by February 15, 2017 (must be a Harvardwood member to apply and participate). See below for more information about the NYC program.
The 2016-17 HWP-Features program in Boston is in progress. Applications were accepted Sept. 1-15, 2016, and meetings began Sept. 28.
The HWP-Features program in Los Angeles currently operates on a year-round basis. Individual applications will be considered on a rolling basis throughout the fall. The group meets once every other week, and only Harvardwood members are eligible to apply. If you have any questions about the Features Program, please email HWP-Features.
As with all Harvardwood writing groups, there is a high expectation of preparation and writing done outside of the meetings (approx. 15-20 hours per week) as well as a strict attendance policy, so please make sure that you can commit fully before applying. Keep in mind that dual commitments to other writing programs (like the Harvardwood TV Modules) can become very hard to maintain. Participants are required to give constructive feedback to fellow writers in each session, so there is an expectation that you will have read applicable work prior to each meeting.
Prerequisites: Full member of Harvardwood
Program fee: $100 ($120 for NYC participants)
Location: Santa Monica/Venice (Manhattan for the Spring-Summer 2017 group)
Each writer should expect to: pitch his or her story to the group; finalize a thorough outline from beginning to end; and turn in pages in predetermined blocks (by act, sequence, or scene, etc). Like previous years, the group will strive for a "writers room" format, and will aim to give focused attention to the projects of 2-3 members every week, thereby staggering group submissions and allowing for better productivity and pacing.
- All participants must be Harvardwood Full Members (not open to Friends of Harvardwood or non-members).
- All participants must meet the application requirements outlined below.
- All participants must submit the program fee before the first meeting.
The 2016-2017 HWP-Features LA application requires the following materials:
- a short writing sample from a prior project (up to 30 pages)
- a bio on the applicant, highlighting his/her writing background and experience
- a full synopsis or treatment of the applicant's proposed feature (though this need not be a finalized document, it should be as complete as possible, illustrating, at the very least, that the writer not only has a firm grasp of all the characters and their arcs, but also a concrete idea of how the plot will play out over the course of the entire narrative).
Previous iterations of the HWP-Features group have attracted widespread interest, especially in Los Angeles. Ideally, the HWP-Features program would like to accommodate an additional group, focused more on initial development and starting the writing process. If such a group might feel more appropriate to your needs and availability, or if you would be willing to lead and/or host such a group, please be sure to voice this interest to Harvardwood by emailing HWP-Features.